Do some true Montana fly fishing in Big Sky
Montana encompasses some of the best fly fishing on the planet, and Big Sky is a great place to stay while accessing some of Montana’s great rivers. In Big Sky you’ll find great Montana hotels, vacation rentals , lodges, restaurants and shopping and everything else you need to be comfortable when not out on the fishing trip of your life.
Here are a few of the great Montana rivers you can fish in the area around Big Sky, as well as some great fly fishing guides to help you get the Montana vacation you deserve.
The Madison River: One of Montna’s most famous fly fishing rivers. You’ll find some of the best fishing for rainbow and brown trout in the Madison along with some cutthroats and beautiful cutt-bows (rainbow/cutthroat hybrids). Add this to some spectacular scenery, wildlife and clear pristine waters, you can’t go wrong on the Madison.
The Missouri River: This huge river is known for spectacular fighting trout and excellent hatches. It is considered by many to be the best river for dry fly fishing in Montana. The brown and rainbow trout fly fishing is great, and it’s a good spot if you’re looking to catch you personal record fish.
The Yellowstone River: This river gets its start in Yellowstone National Park, before making its long journey across Montana. Depending on where you go, the type of trout you encounter vary. But whether it’s
cutthroats in one place, rainbows in another or brown trout in a third, the fishing here is spectacular, and so is the scenery. This is truly a not-to-miss fly fishing river in Montana.
- East Slope Outdoors East Slope Outdoors: This Big Sky fly fishing guide offers pro tours along with a fully stocked ORVIS fly shop to get you started, and keep you prepared. They do fly fishing tours year round, and offer several options to the fisherman/woman. Call 888-359-3974.
- Wild Trout Outfitters, Inc. This Big Sky fly fishing guide team offers trips on the Madison, Missouri and Yellowstone Rivers in drift boats, giving you great access to the best water, and a continually change view. They also offer wading/walking tour with fly fishers of all levels on many streams in Yellowstone Park. Call 406-995-4895.
- Fly fishing Montana: Missoula
- Montana best of fishing: Glacier National Park
- Winter Fly Fishing: A Montana Must
- Montana Vacation Homes: West Yellowstone
- Lake Koocanusa: Montana Camping and Fishing