One of the top places to visit in the Canadian Rockies in Canmore, Alberta. If you start in Whitefish, Montana and drive north, you can be in Canmore in 6 hours.
It’s a prime Canadian Rockies destination for several reasons, as it sits right on the border of Kananaskis Country and Banff National Park. Here you’ll find lots of great Canadian Rockies activities, such as rafting, hiking, mountain biking, skiing and backpacking.
You can get a preview of Canmore by checking out the Canmore webcam here.
Here are 5 great things to do if you should visit Canmore, Alberta:
- Hiking: Like Montana, the Canadian Rockies is known for its great hiking, and Canmore is certainly a great base for this vacation activity. With Banff National Park and Kananaskis Country as neighbors, Canmore is surrounded by some of the greatest hiking in the world. You’ll find hikes suitable to all levels, ranging from casual walks on in town trails, to significant backcountry excursions. In addition, there are incredible cross country skiing and snow shoeing in wilderness settings.
- Horseback Riding & Pack Trips: Riding in the Canmore Kananaskis area is a stunning experience, no matter what time of year you visit. The terrain is phenomenal and the rides come in short trips and day rides to multi-day pack trips. Horseback riding is a great year round activity, but winter riding opportunities can be limited by temperatures and ground conditions. Trips are not available below –10C/+10F.
- Guided Interpretive Walks or Hikes: If you want to get the most out of your time here, try a guided walk or hike. You’ll get to learn about the local flora and fauna, history, and find places only locals know.
- Sightseeing/Photography/Wildlife Viewing: Whether it’s winter or summer, these are great activities in the Canmore, Alberta area. There are stunning vistas, great for just taking in or photographing, and a wide array of wildlife, including bears, lynx, cougar, bobcat and wolf. Guided tours are usually one of the best ways to ensure that you’ll get a glimpse of the local fauna.
- Heli-sightseeing, skiing and hiking: This is a great activity year-round. Take a heli-tour and be truly amazed as the full majesty of Alberta’s Canadian Rocky Mountains is laid out below you. You can go sightseeing year-round, heli-hiking in the summer, and heli-skiing in the winter.
- Across the Border: Canadian Rockies – Jasper National Park
- Across the Border: Canadian Rockies – Lake Louise
- Across the Border: Canadian Rockies – Banff National Park
- Montana Ranch Vacations
- Hiking Glacier National Park in the Montana Rockies