We’re not kicking you out of Montana, but if you’ve got the time, and would like to take in some more beautiful places, it’s always worth the effort (a long, but beautiful 9 hour drive) to get to the Canadian Rockies. You’ll find some amazing terrain here, including Japser National Park.
Jasper is the largest of the Canadian Rockies parks. Here you’ll find the fantastic natural wonders, such as the Athabasca Falls and the Columbia Icefields. It’s a great place for seeing wildlife, getting out for a backpacking trip, photography and much more.
You’ll also find plenty of great indoors activities, including top-notch restaurants, hotels, shopping and pubs. You can get a peak at the park and town with the Jasper webcam. Below you’ll find five great activities to try if you should visit Jasper.
- Jasper Tramway: This is one of the easiest ways to get the best views around town. Two tram cars zip up and down the mountain to the height of 8,200 ft where you are met by a great restaurant and hiking trails with amazing views. Do not leave Jasper without trying this.
- Rafting: There’s nothing like setting off down the Athabasca with nothing between you and the raging waters but a raft. This is a great way to spot wildlife grazing at the side of the river without disturbing them.
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Jasper has always been great for skiing but this year Marmot has got phenomenal snow. It’s going to be a great winter to ski. Marmot has 84 runs and over 1600 acres of terrain to show off your skills.
- Athabasca Falls: If you are looking for the photo opportunity that will make everyone at home jealous, head here to the Athabasca Falls. It is the spot where the Athabasca River meets a narrow gorge and the result is so powerful, it will take your breath away.
- Golf: Golf is great under any circumstances, but the Stanley Thomson designed course at the Jasper Park Lodge is something else. Aside from the beautiful fairways and greens, there is also the added bonus of the best scenery in the world and the wildlife being the hazards!
- Across the Border: Canadian Rockies – Banff National Park
- Across the Border: Canadian Rockies-Canmore
- Across the Border: Canadian Rockies – Lake Louise
- Hiking Glacier National Park in the Montana Rockies
- Conferences at the Rockies