Montana‘s great, awesome in fact, and we’re certainly not going to kick anyone out, but if you’ve got a little extra time on you vacation this year, you may want to consider a trip to Lake Louise in Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada.
Banff is certainly one of the most amazing parks in the Rockies, and Lake Louise has to be one of the most beautiful lakes anywhere. It’s color has been described as a deep torquoise, although you’ll find a lot of people disagree on exactly how to name the color of this lake. We’ll just call it beautiful.
At the end of the lake you’ll find the Chateau Lake Louise, an amazing castle built in the 19th century. It gives the whole lake a fairy tale like feeling.
There’s plenty to do and see around Lake Louise. In the summer you can choose from several different hikes, go canoeing, camping, backpacking, mountain biking and much more.
The winter brings excellent snowshoeing, nordic skiing, ice skating on the lake, and of course great Skiing. Lake Louise Mountain Resort features fine downhill skiing and snowboarding, and you’ll also find excellent heli-skiing in the area.
You can get a sneak peak at Banff National Park using the Banff Webcam.
In the end, hiking and taking in the view of this fantastic place is probably one of the most well known features of Lake Louise. So below, you’ll find tk great hikes in the area.
- Plain of Six Glaciers Tea House: One of the most popular hikes in the Canadian Rockies, that is fairly short, with awesome view. Just hug the shore line of Lake Louise on the trail head below the cliffs at the Lake’s foot. You’ll get a great look at Victoria Glacier, moraine fields and Lake Louise. The hike is 10.6 km, with a 365 m elevation gain, and takes about 4 hours.
- Fairview Mountain: A difficult hike but worth the work, Fairview Mountain offers sheer clifs, and breathtaking views. It’s about 9 km in total, 1013 m elevation gain, 5-6 hour hike
- Fairview Lookout: Start at the Lake Louise boathouse and follow the Saddleback trail for 0.3 km then hang a right to get to this great Lake Louise lookout. It’s only about 2km, with a tine 100 m elevation gain and takes just an 1 hour.
- The Lake Agnes Trail: This a nice gentle hike perfect for those who have not been keeping themselves fit by the bar fires during winter. All you need for this walk is a bottle of water and good, light shoes. The first 1.6km is a very gentle but mesmerizing trek through subalpine forest. If you have an interest in trees and vegetation, you are more or less going to be in heaven here! At 1.6km, you will see views of Fairview Mountain and can usually see a few more extreme hikers who have crawled to the summit to get unique views of gorgeous Lake Louise.
- Little Beehive: This is a short little hike that starts from Lake Agnes, 2 km total, and just a 105 m elevation gain. Great for family vacation hikes with young children.
- Across the Border: Canadian Rockies-Canmore
- Across the Border: Canadian Rockies – Banff National Park
- Across the Border: Canadian Rockies – Jasper National Park
- Montana tours: Flathead Lake
- Montana Best Hikes: Glacier National Park, Lake McDonald