Glacier National Park Celebrates 100 years
Glacier National Park was welcomed in to the National Park System back on May 11, 1910 and since then has become on of the country’s most popular parks, and a major Montana vacation destination.
Plans for a huge celebration of Glacier National Park have been made, and it’s sure to make a visit to Glacier this year even more fun and exciting than usual. Nearby, you’ll find plenty of hotels and lodging in the nearby towns of Whitefish and Kalispell to base yourself in during the festivities. Here are a few of the many great events they’ll be having:
- Whitefish Winter Carnival: February 5 to 7. This year the theme at Whitefish, Montana‘s will be “Going-to-the-Sun” in comemoration of the famous road that wends its way through the park. There will be many activities, including skijoring competitions, a “polar plunge” in Whitefish Lake, a disco party and a huge parade with lots of costumed characters. Carnival events continue throughout February.
- Glacier National Park Rededication: Join in the rededication of Glacier National Park on its 100th anniversary. The event kicks with a speech by the Park Superintendent Chas Cartwright. There will also be live music and tours of Glacier’s historic points. May 11 from 10 am to 4 pm at the Glacier Community Center. Ask at any entrance for directions.
- Glacier Centennial Plein Air Paint Out: Watch plein air artists work live painting the beauty of Glacier National Park. Artists will be painting for three days within the park, at various locations from June 22 to June 24. Maps available at park entrances or ranger stations. Reception held afterward at the Hockaday Mueseum in Kalispell, Montana.
- Centennial Poetry Reading at the Belton: Live poetry all day. See it on June 25 at the Belton Chalet, just across from the entrance to West Glacier.
- Glacier Centennial Symphony: Come check out the the Glacier Symphony summer pops concert at the Rebecca Farm at 1385 Farm to Market Road Kalispell from 6 to 10 pm on July 10.
- Centennial Heritage Days: Columbia Falls (just a few miles from West Glacier) does its traditional summer celebration, with centennial theme this year. There’ll be races, a parade and dancing in the streets (literally) from July 22 to 25, all day long.
- Centennial Hootenanny: Music lovers, come celebrate the centennial with 10 different folk/ singing groups will perform from 8 am to 4 pm on July 30, August 2 and 3 from 5 to 8 pm.
- Centennial Huckleberry Days: Come to Whitefish and celebrate the amazing local huckleberry, similar to a blueberry, but with more zing. The celebration is all about trying this delicious berry in as many ways as possible, whether that be ice cream, beer or anything in between. All day August 13 to 15 in downtown Whitefish.
Come back for updates as we get more info on Glacier National Park centennial events!
- Montana Best of Rafting: Glacier National Park
- Glacier National Park: Winter Guide
- Camping Montana: Glacier National Park
- Montana Best of Hikes: Glacier National Park Many Glacier
- Montana best of fishing: Glacier National Park