Our guide to fishing Montana in and around Glacier National Park
On your Montana vacation, among the many not to miss activities you’ll want to try is fishing Montana. Montana contains some of the best trout fishing in the country, and Glacier National Park provides an awesome backdrop to some of the greatest trout fishing Montana offers, whether you enjoy fly fishing or spincast.
Nearby, you’ll find the best in hotels Montana offers, as well as vacation rentals and Montana lodges.
Here’s our top five fishing spots in and around Glacier National Park.
- The North Fork of the Flathead River: Besides being one of the most pristine places in Montana, with some of the best chances for seeing wildlife, this river has a strong population of Montana trout, including lake, cutthroat and rainbow trout.
- Elizabeth Lake: Beautiful lake below Ptarmigan Tunnel, also accessible from the Chief Mountain ranger station. Awesome for rainbow trout fishing, it also contains one of the few remaining fishable populations of arctic grayling in the state.
- Middle Fork of the Flathead River: The Middle Fork has great views of the south eastern and south side of Glacier National Park, and excellent fishing for westslope cutthroat trout.
- Logging Lake: Logging Lake, on the North Fork side of the park, offers easy fishing for cutthroat trout, and some excellent views of this secluded side of Glacier National Park.
- Two Medicine Lake: Fishing in Two Medicine Lake can be a bit of a challenge, but the views of the surrounding peaks are amazing, and it’s one of the best places in the area to catch brook trout.
If you want to get the most out of your fishing vacation, you’ll probably want to check in with a Montana fishing guide. Here’s two we’d recommend.
Wild River Adventures offers trips up the Middle Fork of the Flathead River, where you’ll get the chance to fish for westslope cutthroat while seeing some of the best scenery Montana has to offer. Wild River has been guiding in this area for more than 20 years.
Glacier Guides Inc. goes to the Middle Fork of the Flathead, the Smith River, and the North Fork of the Flathead, offering a wide range of opportunities for fishing Montana. Glacier Guides has been operating in this area since 1983.
Swan Mountain Outfitters can set you up with fly fishing trips just a bit south and west of Glacier National Park, on the Swan River and in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Swan Mountain does guided wilderness fishing trips, day and half day trips, and fly fishing lessons.
- Montana Best of Rafting: Glacier National Park
- Montana Best of Hikes: Glacier National Park, North Fork
- Montana Best of Hikes: Glacier National Park Many Glacier
- Camping Montana: Glacier National Park
- Montana Best Hikes: Glacier National Park, Lake McDonald