Five best Montana hikes in Glacier National Park North Fork Area
Glacier National Park has some of the best Montana hikes, with great Montana hotels and vacation rentals nearby where you can kick up your sore feet afterwards. Here are our top 5 picks from the North Fork region of Glacier National Park. This area is known for a its series of beautiful Montana lakes, and excellent Montana fishing.
- Kintla Lake: The 6.6 mile hike from the foot to the head of this stunning Montana lake is breathtaking. Also offers decent fishing.
- Logging Lake Trail: It’s about 4.5 miles through an old section of forest that was cleared by a forest fire in the 1980s to the foot of this lake. Because of the burn, the trees aren’t tall enough to obstruct your views on the way in, and you’ll see excellent Glacier National Park scenery.
- Quartz Lake: a 6 mile hike that leads to a beautiful Montana lake with excellent lake and cutthroat trout fishing.
- Hidden Meadow: This short 1.2 mile hike is great for family hiking in Glacier National Park, but doesn’t sacrifice on the beautiful scenery.
- Numa Lookout: A longer hike with more elevation gain, for the hiker that wants to get a good workout. Also rewarding, with a good view of the Glacier National Park from just over 7,000 ft.
For more information, we suggest you consult with a park ranger or a qualified Glacier National Park guide, so that you will be advised of bear activity and any trail closings or changes. If you really want to get the most out of a trip to Glacier, check out some of our recommended guides below.
Glacier Guides: Does day hikes for groups, overnight guided trips to Glacier chalets, multi-day adventures into Glacier’s backcountry, and much more. Visit Glacier Guides and start your Montana vacation right. Based in West Glacier, Montana.
Bridge Street Cottages: These beautiful luxury cottages sit right on the Swan River waterfront near downtown Bigfork, Montana. From here you can access the “Wild Mile” nature trail along the swan, or very quickly reach the shore of Flathead Lake. Visit Bridge Street Cottages for more.
Lodge at Whitefish Lake: This full-service vacation resort on Whitefish Lake provides access to a beautiful 3-acre nature preserve, which open to hikers in the summer of 2010. Also just 40 minutes from Glacier, and 10 from Whitefish Mountain Resort. Visit the Lodge at Whitefish Lake for more info. Based in Whitefish, Montana.
- Montana Best of Hikes: Glacier National Park Many Glacier
- Montana Best Hikes: Glacier National Park, Lake McDonald
- Montana Best of Hikes: Glacier National Park, Logan Pass
- Montana Best of Hikes: Glacier National Park, Two Medicine
- Montana Maps: Glacier National Park